Our client’s renovation journey began with a sewer line break in their basement. Instead of seeing this as a homeowner’s worst nightmare, they saw it as an opportunity to reimagine the whole space. DOVETAIL worked with them to design and build a fantastic hangout spot that is cool enough for their Gen Z children yet functional enough for a family movie night or a guest to spend the weekend.
After discussing possible design aesthetics, we decided that an industrial chic look would allow for some bold design choices. We painted the rafters and ductwork black instead of installing a drywalled ceiling, which often makes a basement feel cramped. Complementing that with white walls and trim added to the spacious feel of the space. We added a horizontal, nickel gapped accent wall for visual interest. The client’s son selected the rich gray paint color that added to the industrial chic character of the space. We created zones within the space to make it multifunctional – a large seating area for TV viewing with a wet bar and pool table zone plus an all new full bathroom. It’s a space that can adapt to the evolving needs of the family and their growing children.
Project Cost: $50,000 – $70,000
- Added a full bathroom.
- Created a bar area with a sink and drink refrigerator.
- Created closets to hide the water heater, electrical panel, and HVAC system.
- Designed a unique staircase. Because there is not an outside entrance to the basement, the staircase balusters are removable to more easily move furniture to the basement.
- Installed nickel gap siding to add texture and interest to the TV wall.
- Painted the ductwork and rafters black to make the space feel more spacious and less like a basement.
- Installed recessed lighting between the joists.
- Installed an egress window to meet code requirements and enhance safety.
“What we design we build.”