For this project, we built a garden trellis for a perfect spot to enjoy the yard and let climbing fall blooming clematis grow. The trellis is a nice addition to the outdoor space and dressed up an old concrete pad left from the original cow barn on the property. Since the location is prominently positioned at the head of the homeowner’s driveway, we designed and built a beautiful, custom trellis to look nicer than a typical “basic garden trellis.”
Project Cost: $15,000 – $25,000
- Purchased large mahogany beams with fancy scroll cut ends at an auction and re-cut the beams to create the trellis rafters.
- Added new posts and railing.
- Attached railing to the posts with hand cut tenons and oak pegs.
- Added a bench seat.
- Covered the concrete pad with Pennsylvania Blue Stones.
- Built steps using Blue Stone Treads and a solid Marble Lintel that was salvaged from an old barn on the property.
- Applied burnt orange stucco to the exterior surfaces of the concrete slab and steps to match the same stucco applied to the house.
- Attached stainless steel wire mesh to the trellis so the clematis already growing at the corner of the slab can grow up to the sun!
“What we design is what we build.”